J.D., Loyola University School of Law
B.A., California State University, Dominguez Hills
Property I and II
A veteran of several high-level in-house counsel positions with a number of title insurance companies, Professor Sheppard is an authority on business and real estate transaction matters, as well as student life issues.
Professor Sheppard has served Western State since 1980, as an adjunct faculty member before becoming associate professor. He has taught at several colleges and universities. Professor Sheppard was vice president and counsel to several title companies before opening his own practice. Professor Sheppard is a past chairperson of the legislative committee of the Business Law Section of the California State Bar Association and prior member of the Legislative and Forms and Practices Committee of the California Land Title Association. Professor Sheppard is also a member of the Board of Directors, the Executive Committee and the Secretary of the San Diego-Imperial Chapter of the Lupus Foundation of America, Inc.
- California Code of Civil Procedure Section 580b, Anti-Deficiency Protection Regarding Purchase Money Debts: Arguments For The Inclusion of Refinanced Purchase Money Obligations Within The Anti-Deficiency Protection of Section 580b, 6 SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA INTERDISCIPLINARY LAW JOURNAL, 245 (1997).
- Eminent Domain – Condemnation of Private Property for a Private Use: Legitimate or a Land Grab?, 44 ORANGE COUNTY LAWYER 30 (September 2002).
- The Grading Process: Taking A Multi-Dimensional, “Non-Curved” Approach To The Measurement Of A First-Year Law Student’s Level Of Proficiency. 30 WESTERN STATE UNIVERSITY LAW REVIEW 177 (2002-2003).
- Types Of Title Assurances Available In The United States With A Focus On The Question Of Whether A Person Who Assures A Quality Of Title Is Or Is Not Liable For A Defect In The Title That Is The Result Of Conduct On The Part Of The Assured, No. 2, 79 NORTH DAKOTA LAW REVIEW 311 (2003, No. 2); reprinted in two parts in 17 MINNESOTA REAL ESTATE JOURNAL Number 6 (November/December 2004) and 18 MINNESOTA REAL ESTATE JOURNAL Number 1 (January/February 2005).
- Land Use Covenants: A Summary of Aspects of California Law Regarding Land Use Covenants with Comparisons to the Restatement (Third) of Property, 37 WESTRN STATE UNIVERSITY LAW REVIEW 27 (Fall 2009).