About Western State
What distinguishes Western State?
- Private law school founded in 1966, Western State is the oldest law school in Orange County, Southern California and is fully ABA accredited.
- Noted for small classes, personal attention; accessible faculty focused on teaching and student success.
- Strong bar pass rates, consistently in the top half of California’s ABA law schools.
- Emphasis on lawyering skills and hands on legal practice as part of the curriculum, externships and specialty programs.
- Immigration Clinic; Certificates in Business Law, Criminal Law, Family Practice, Immigration Law and Real Estate Practice.
- Personalized career guidance and network of 11,000 alumni engaged in private practice, judiciary, and public service provide mentoring and placement opportunities.
- Exceptional academic support from day one through bar preparation.
- Ranked among most diverse law schools, with 54% students of color, 20% minority faculty, and a wide range of age, socioeconomic and educational backgrounds from dozens of colleges across California, the US and other countries.
- Flexible programming – full time and part time programs available to start in August or January.
The Western State community is tight knit, collaborative and from highly diverse ethnic, socioeconomic and educational backgrounds; most students will be the first graduate as well as first lawyer in their family. Full time and part time students come from dozens of colleges in California, across the country and around the world; some 20% of students are mid-career professionals in various fields transitioning to law. With over 50% students of color; and 20% minority faculty, Western State is regularly cited among the most diverse law schools.
Western State alumni are well represented across public and private sector legal practice areas, including 150 California judges and about 15% of Orange County’s Public Defenders and District Attorneys.
Western State’s campus is located in Fullerton, a suburban college town in Orange County, about 30 miles south of Los Angeles and 100 miles north of San Diego. It is surrounded by attractive residential communities; close to Orange County’s legal, technology, finance, and business centers; and within commuting distance of Los Angeles as well as the Inland Empire area.
Orange County’s population of over 3 million, adjacent metropolitan Los Angeles with 10 million inhabitants and nearby Inland Empire with 4 million people form a diverse and dynamic area that is a major international hub for business, trade, culture, and tourism and creates a wide range of legal placement possibilities. Western State law students and graduates have access to opportunities at nearby courts, private firms, public agencies and businesses throughout the Southland.
Culture, Recreation, Entertainment and Sports
Orange County’s 34 cities boast diverse personalities from a variety of cultures. From art districts and laid-back surf communities to ethnic neighborhoods; food, music and cultural traditions have woven their way into our restaurants, festivals and venues. Arts, dining and shopping choices from around the world are abundant. Orange County offers 42 miles of beautiful Pacific Ocean coastline including Laguna Beach, Huntington Beach and Newport Beach. Wilderness and mountain parks and trails offer camping, hiking and biking. Skiing in local mountains and recreation in nearly desert communities are a short drive away.
Famous Orange County attractions also include Disneyland, Knott’s Berry Farm and nationally ranked sports teams like the Anaheim Angels and Ducks. Southern California’s Mediterranean climate and beauty make this a highly desirable place to study, live and work.
Western State College of Law is fully accredited by the American Bar Association (321 North Clark Street, Chicago, IL 60610, (312) 988-5000). Western State College of Law at Argosy University is a campus of Argosy University.
Argosy University is accredited by the Senior College and University Commission of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (985 Atlantic Avenue, Suite 100, Alameda, California, 94501, http://www.wascsenior.org).
Argosy University is a private institution and has been granted approval to operate by the California Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education (Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education 2535 Capitol Oaks Drive, Suite 400 Sacramento CA 95834, www.bppe.ca.gov, 1.916.574.8200, Toll-free phone: 1.888.370.7589).